Torre Argentina is an ancient Roman square where the ruins of four Roman temples Republican era, today even more famous because it has become a sanctuary for cats of Rome.
The name of the square
The name of this mysterious place is related to Burcado, a high priest in Strasbourg called for the celebration of the Popes who loved to call Argentinus, Latin name of his hometown that he had chosen that place to build their homes. After the first years of the seventeenth century this site was used to house the Teatro Argentina, thus continuing the tradition.
In 1926 with the first demolitions, which were brought to light his oldest archaeological sites formed by 4 times and a square. The restored area was officially opened April 21, 1929, after a careful restructuring of the area, proved very complex, because of its many buildings. They have chosen four letters to identify the four main areas from different centuries.
The temple A is what remains of a small shrine with two columns in front of an altar that still has some place in its central part. Around the altar you can find an audience made of tufa, the entire property was destroyed and the columns were built to surround the entire area, greek-style with capitals and decorative stucco. Temple according to the testimony of the writings of Ovid would seem to be one dedicated to Giucurta, the nymph of sources, confirmed thesis from the vicinity of the Baths of Agrippa.
Is characterized by a base with six columns, dedicated to the Day of Fortune, to celebrate the victory against the Cimbri. Tufa and travertine columns remained even after the first demolition of the original temple. This part of the site of Torre Argentina was called Temple of Fortuna, the statue that witness was transferred to the Central Montemartini.
The oldest of the four temple, dedicated to the Goddess Feronia, protector of forests and crops. The tufa, the terracotta bricks and its plan are typical of an archaic temple and were discovered at least three types of floors that have placed it at a higher level.
Called temple of the Lares Permarini, is the largest temple between 4 and only part seems to have been brought to light. The initial part is in cement, while the construction is in its second travertine with a characteristic rectangular shape.
Today the area has become a true sanctuary chosen by the cats of Rome. That is the largest cat colony of Rome that gives a chance to everyone to adopt them, even at a distance.